We have great access to teen violence statistics as this is always a hot topic and various organizations keep track of these stats in order to raise the awareness about teen violence. So let’s look at some teen violence stats in order to raise the awareness about this horrible issue.
Violent crimes committed by teens:
- Over 2000 kids under the age of 18 are arrested each year for murder
- On average in the US 15 teens are killed each day
- Little less than 10% of all murders in the US are committed by kids under the age of 18
- One out of 10 teen arrests is related to violent behavior that may have caused a serious injury or death
Teen violence is something we have been dealing with for quite some time, and we still can’t show any results as the teen violent behavior seems to increase and fall each year showing no steady progress.
Suicide is also a form of teen violence that is often overlooked, but it is a fact that this is violence towards oneself and as such it needs to be treated with caution. So when we consider suicide as teen violence there are two things we need to know, number one is that the number 3 cause of death in the US among teens is suicide, number two is the alarming fact that one out of 11 teenagers have reported that they attempted to kill themselves.
So these are just stats when something happens, if we were to take into account the number of teens prone to hurting themselves and the rising number of self-injury and self-violence, not to mention suicidal feelings this would turn into a nightmare, those would be the stats from a horror movie, but he most frightening part would be that they are true.
But it doesn’t stop there, more prevalent forms of teen violence are lesser forms of violence, but that doesn’t make them less important. One out of three teens is either a bully or being bullied on a regular basis and in the past 12 months one out of three teens was involved in a fight
Other things that we need to think about are the costs and consequences of teen violent behavior:
- The overall cost of teen violence each year is estimated to be over 160 billion dollars.
- Every 15th student will skip school because he fears that he is going be bullied or is afraid of going to school because of some violent related issues
- Communities that have a higher occurrence of teen violence often suffer increase rate of healthcare
- Areas with high teen violence incidents will suffer a decrease in property values
These are some frightening stats about teen violence, but the fact is that they are reality that we need to deal with.