Learning disabilities are a big problem for our youth and not just for them, but also for the entire nation and our economy. Over 10 million teens have some form of learning disability, which is something that can develop into a bigger problem if not solved early. Plus, a learning disability does not only affects a teenager and his grades at school; it can also lead to an increasing number of substance abuse, criminal behavior, joblessness and several other society issues. In the end that costs money all of us, but we need to give money in order to save money and to help those children. An average education cost per year for a child with learning disability is $10,000. That is much smaller than what an adult with learning disability costs the state.
The sad truth about teens with learning disability is that 80% of them have trouble reading and 35% of those teens never finish high school. And that is just the start of the problems, more than 60% of teens with learning disability can’t find a job a year after they finish high school, over 25% of those kids don’t have the necessary knowledge to find a normal job. The two biggest problems in our society of getting a job are substance abuse and learning disabilities, sadly but those two are often related.
The first thing that happens with teens with learning disability is substance abuse; more than 60% of kids with learning disability are using some form of drugs. Over 50% of juvenile delinquents have learning disability. In fact 31% of kids with learning disability that do finish high school are arrested in the first 3 years. So the sad and unfortunate truth is that we have a big problem with teenage children that have some form of learning disability. They need help, and to appeal on those that think that will cost more it won’t. For a teenager with learning disability one school year costs $10,000, but for a person that ended up in jail, a year costs over $30,000, not to mention other expenses and there are many. It is better for them and for us to help them and deal with that issue while the time is right.
The fact is that if these kids are helped on time, while they are still young and they are given to proper facilities that can help them, over 70% of those kids will find a steady and a solid job in the first two years after finishing high school. The remaining 30% have a smaller chance of finding a job, but less than 5% of those will have a problem with the law.