We all feel stress, some more than others, some of us cope with stress better than others, but the bottom line is that we all have to deal with stress, teens are no exception. So let’s see how we can diffuse our stressful situation or better yet, how we can prevent stress and stress overload.
So let’s start with the basics, the first and the most logical thing to do when you find yourself in a stressful situation is to remove yourself from that spot. Stress is just a defense mechanism, but at some times it can cause more problems than it helps us, especially if it is a constant in our life. Stress acts immediately and tightens our emotional and physical reaction, but once some time has passed without further provoking the stress factor our body will relax. Sometimes we cannot avoid a stressful situation no matter how much we try, but we can make sure that our body is less prone to react to stress by doing the following:
- You need to sleep healthy, let your body rest
- Also a healthy diet where you intake plenty of protein and some exercise will help your body
- Lower the intakes of caffeine and nicotine if you smoke and drink coffee and avoid alcohol and drugs
- You can devote yourself and find some time for things that personally relax you, that can be anything from going to the gym to hiking and fishing or some form of art
- You can also try alternative methods like yoga, relaxation breathing
- Listening to relaxation music and sounds
- Any form of stress management that you found useful
These are the things that will help you defuse stress situations, most of them can be used as preventive measures as well. But there are some things you need to do in order to prevent stress for hitting you and to prevent stress overload in the future.
- You can imagine a scenario and practice handling a stressful situation
- Learn some management skills, that will greatly decrease your stress levels
- Once you know your stress sources try to avoid them as much as possible
- Keep realistic expectations, one of the greatest source of stress is disappointment
- So thing that make you feel good
- Find things that help you relieve stress
- Change your scenery, that can greatly help you deal and let go of stress
- Find time for yourself, time to relax and enjoy
These are all the things that will help you deal with stress, prevent stress, prevent stressful situations as well as teach you how to handle yourself in a stressful situation. Remember, you don’t have to deal with stress alone, you can seek outside help, try talking to your friends and family or you can even seek professional help, anything that will help you deal with the situation at hand.